Wednesday 25 November 2015

Uses of Silica Gel Pouches : Best reasons to know about silica gel pouches!!!!

1.  To save your cell phone from water damage.  I recently dropped my iPhone in a pot of boiling potatoes while trying to multitask.  (OK, I was on Pinterest while making dinner, I’ll admit it.)  I dropped my phone in the boiling water, quickly pulled it out with a spoon, dried it off, removed the SIM card, and put it in a Ziploc bag filled with silica gel packets that we had stockpiled.  I left it alone for a few days, and was shocked to find that it worked perfectly!  Supposedly this works better than the rice trick for saving your cell phone.  Just try to restrain yourself and not turn it on until a few days later because it could cause an electrical short and ruin your phone.

2. To help keep photos safe and free from moisture.  I love to scrapbook.  I recently pulled out one of my scrapbooks from a few years back , when I noticed that some of my scrapbook pages were wet!  I have spent countless hours on my scrapbook pages.  You can imagine how upset I was to find that one of my kids had spilled water, and it had dripped down into the sheet protectors and onto my pages.  My hubby air dried all of the pages, and was able to salvage most of the pages and embellishments from the affected scrapbook pages.

Now each of those pages have a silica gel packet in between the two pieces of card stock in each sheet protector, just to absorb any excess moisture that might still be hiding in the paper. We will eventually remove them, because I am unsure of the archival quality of silica, but for now I am okay with them being there short term.

3.  To keep collectables in pristine condition.  My husband has quite the baseball card collection, and uses silica gel packets to keep his collection safe and in great condition.
4.  To keep important documents safe.  Whether you have important documents (birth certificates, social security cards, etc.) stored in files in a desk, cabinet, box, or envelopes, you can add a few packets of silica gel to keep them protected.
5.   To use in each container in your basement, garage, or storage unit to absorb excess moisture.  We use them everywhere in our basement!
6.   To help preserve your ornaments and Christmas decorations.  These get pulled out of boxes only once a year, so using silica gel packets in your Christmas boxes is a smart idea.


No comments:

Post a Comment